Thursday, April 24, 2008

Westward, HO!!!....



Lenard had a social studies project to build a model of transportation that was used in the 1800's during the westward movement. He made a handcart. In addition to the model, he had to answer 8 specific questions and write one paragraph about how life was like traveling this way, and submit a labeled diagram of the model on cardboard stands. It is due today, so we took some pictures of it before he went off to school. Can anyone guess what we used as a base for the wheels? ;)

8 comments:

Mom/Grandma said...

What? Thats not a kit? It looks awesome. And your roses are so pretty too, Christi.

Mom/Grandma said...

My guess is popsicle sticks for the base and those flying saucerie thingies for the wheels.

The Starks' said...

Yes, the popsicle sticks are the main thing and the spokes..but that isnt what I meant....I meant under the spokes to make the wheel have a shape. And nope, not flying saucers.

LUCKY7 said...

Buttons??? i love buttons. lol

LUCKY7 said...

it looks like you used some sort of lid actually.

The Starks' said...

YEP...Food storage lids. I never thought my year supply would help with Lenards Social Studies project! LOL...but I did think it was pretty nifty to do it that way.

The Gustin Family said...

Cool Handcart Grant! :) My kids want to make one now too!

dares said...

Looks great. I'm sure the pioneers would be proud that you are using your food storage so resourcefully.