Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Ragnar Relay







What is the Ragnar Relay??? Well let me just tell you a story... Back in January a girl in my ward wanted to get a team together for this relay race, to be run in July. She emailed out to everyone and I really thought that it would be so cool to do it, but I knew I was in no condition to do it and that I would most likely be pregnant by July. I also looked at the recommended training schedule and knew that I couldn't spend enough time, in my life right now, on running. So I passed and thought, maybe someday. Then months later in late April, I really felt strongly about starting to exercise. So I started some pilates videos, and then another friend in my ward asked me if I wanted to start a run/walk program with a couple of other women. So I did. We run 2 nights a week after our kids are in bed, and we started running for 2 min and then walking 3 and doing that 10 times. Then we slowly increased the running time from there. (We still only run 2 nights a week). So then a couple weeks ago someone on the relay team was injured and needed to be replaced and I was asked if I would take his part. I eventually agreed if I could have the easiest legs. He then recovered enough and decided to run in it, so they didn't need me. Then 2 days before the race, another person was injured. She called again and I said I would go, but I had to take this persons legs which weren't the easy ones. I went not knowing if I could even handle it, but oh my gosh, I had the best time! It was so HARD! But there is something about pushing yourself to your absolute limits that is really exhilarating. So we had a 12 person team and we ran a total of 187 miles. It was a continous race that our team hoped to finish in 30 hours. So basically, it was run, drive, try to sleep a little and run again. My team was divided into 2 cars and we stayed with and cheered on the runners in our car and then could rest while the other 6 ran their legs. I ran a total of 14.6 miles. My hardest leg I had to run at 2am, it was 6.3 miles with a total elevation gain of 792 feet! I thought I would have to walk the whole thing! But I just kept going and going and ended up finishing it in 75 minutes and only had to walk briefly in 2 spots. Overall the team finished 120 out of 142 teams with a time of 29:32:55. We were all able to cross the finish line together. It was so great to see my family waiting at the end for me!! Todd is so supportive and was so proud of me - He is so great! It was an amazing experience that I will never forget! I am so thankful to have been able to be a part of it!!

7 comments:

Mom/Grandma said...

Coleen, I am so proud of you. I remember when you were considering it in January. I am so glad you got to do it. You are my hero. What a life memory moment.

Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! THATS LIKE THE MOST EXCITING THING I EVER HEARD! So when are they gonna make the indie film about you? They should call it "Momlegs."

James and Dixie Moore Family said...

Coleen, you are so cool...I want to be like you!!!! That is so awesome, now you should come out in May and do the Mini-Marathon with James. (and Shannon and Donald, too, and anyone else who wants to!)

The Starks' said...

OH MY GOSH!! You are Sheera!! That is AMAZING!! You seriously ROCK!

dares said...

You are my hero Coleen! What a great story! What a neat experience for you and your family...I bet your kids and Todd are SO impressed! So are you going to get pregnant now that it's over? :)

TeamAumua said...

Are you sure this is my sister Coleen? The one Who hated running? =) That is so awesome! You look great too!

LUCKY7 said...

Way to go! that is amazing. I can't run 2 miles! you look supa' skinny in these pics, you must have ran your body off. :) good job on your time that is crazy good.